The Blessed Sacrament Chapel - Detail Maps
The Vault, North Wall, East Wall, South
Wall, West Wall
The vault of the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament
is covered by a rich decoration in white and
gilded stucco, made between 1623 and 1627 from
designs by Giovan Battista Ricci and showing
Scenes from the Old Testament between
cornucopias, arabesques, putti and allegorical
Wall (Main Altar)
Gian Lorenzo Bernini (1598-1680)
designed the Altar, Tabernacle and Angels from
(1629-1674). The Altarpiece is a painting of The Trinity
(1628-1632) by Pietro da Cortona (1596-1669). The New
Testament scenes (1623-1627) on the wall are by Giovan Battista
Ricci (ca.1540 -1627).
The East Wall (Altar of
The Altarpiece of St Francis receiving the Stigmata (mosaic
1795-1801) is from an original (1628-1630) by Domenichino
(1581-1641). The scenes (1623-1627) above the altar are by
Giovan Battista Ricci (ca.1540 -1627).
The West Wall (Organ)
The west wall holds the Gregorian
organ (ca. 1582). The New Testament scenes (1623-1627) are by
Giovan Battista Ricci (ca.1540 -1627). The crucifix was carved
in the early 1300s by an anonymous sculptor. It was recently
moved here from the Relics Chapel.
The South Wall (Rear)
The South Wall contains two paintings
of angels by Giacomo Zoboli (1681-1767). The upper stucco scenes
from the New Testament (1623-1627) are by Giovan Battista Ricci
(ca.1540 -1627). The central gates (ca.1629-1630) are by
Francesco Borromini (1599-1667).